Spring is a beautiful time of year in Louisiana. The weather is pleasant, flowers begin to bloom and Louisiana’s vibrant culture reignites with many festivals and events happening during this time. In addition to the swarms of people who show up to enjoy Louisiana’s many events, springtime also brings swarms of pests. These large swarms of insects can be frustrating to deal with for many homeowners. Most insects that swarm in the spring are leaving their winter hiding spaces to look for food, to mate and establish new colonies.
Common Swarming Pests in Louisiana
When dealing with pests that swarm, it can be important to know what type of pest you’re dealing with. While these pests may swarm in your yard, similarly, they can swarm inside your house. Below are some of the most common spring swarming pests in Louisiana, how to identify them, and what they may leave behind:
- Ants: Ants are known to swarm in the spring as they look for food, mate, and to establish new colonies. Carpenter ants are particularly dangerous ants to have swarming in your yard. They, like termites, will burrow into the wooden structure of your home and hollow them out which weakens foundations. Swarming, flying ants are normally easily identified by their thin waist, long legs and forewings that are much larger than the hindwings.
- Termites: Termites are a large problem in Louisiana. They are one of the most destructive insects to a home since they eat the destroy the wood in a home. They will burrow into and eat the wood within a home’s structure, often causing thousands of dollars in damage. You can easily identify a termite by their four large wings that are all the same size, a long, thick abdomen, short leg, and straight antennae. These pests leave damage under paint, mud tubes, and droppings. Given that termites are incredibly destructive, you will need professional help to eliminate them. If you see signs of termites, call an exterminator immediately.
- Bees: Bees can be identified by their round black and yellow bodies that are fuzzy. They will seek out open cavities to build their nests such as hollow trees, under sheds, in the eves of a home or even in your home’s siding. Often times, honey bees will swarm when their colony is too big or the current hive is no longer safe.
- Wasps: On the other hand, wasps have a thin long body with a tiny waist, a sharp barb to sting with, and have no fuzz. They will often build nests in trees, eves of the home, in broken siding and panels. Mainly, wasps will swarm if their nest is in danger or has been severely damaged. Because of their potent stings, you will need to call an exterminator to remove the nest.
- Mosquitoes: Mosquitoes are a common outdoor pest in the spring and summer. They are known for their bites that leave itchy red bumps on your skin. These small insects become more active in the spring. The females emerge from their winter hibernation and begin laying their eggs in areas with standing water. With this in mind, treating standing water in your yard is important to combat swarms of mosquitoes from hatching.
Keeping Pests Out of Your Home and Yard
Having pests swarm around your yard and home can be frustrating. They are not just unsightly, what’s more is they can also cause damage or introduce unwanted bacteria into your home. It is important to prevent swarming pests from entering your yard or home before they cause an infestation. Here are a few simple ways to keep swarming pests out of your yard and home.
- Seal cracks and holes on the exterior of your home.
- Close all doors and windows without screens.
- Stack all of your firewood 20 feet away from your home and make sure it is elevated off of the ground.
- Clean any crumbs and spills in your kitchen immediately.
- Collect and dispose of yard waste such as leaves, grass clippings and fallen fruit.
- Eliminate any standing water and fix leaking faucets.
- Turn off outdoor lights when not needed.
- Clean up leftover food quickly after having meals outside.
Spring Pest Control
In the event that you are dealing with swarms of pests in or around your home, call the experienced exterminators at Ja-Roy Pest Control. We’ve been trusted pest-fighting professionals in Covington, LA since 1971. Our expert technicians will be able to identify and eliminate any pests in your yard or home and provide tools to keep them away. Contact us today for a free estimate.