Louisiana is home to all sorts of wildlife and pests, but the opossum is one the most unique of the bunch. As the only living species of marsupial in North America, the opossum is in a class of its own, although it is commonly grouped in with rodents due to its appearance. While they don’t pose many dangerous health risks to humans, they can be frightening, filthy, and possibly disease-ridden. To learn more about opossums and how you can keep them off of your property in Louisiana, read up on the Ja-Roy Pest Control technicians’ advice!
What Do Opossums Look Like?
Opossums largely resemble rats. They have gray bodies with white, slender faces and long, rat-like tails. They will grow to be about the size of a house cat in most cases, reaching up to about seven pounds.
There are several other habits that can help you identify opossums in your yard:
- Opossum mothers carry their young on their backs. If opossums are nesting in your yard, you might soon see upwards of ten young. They are capable of having three litters a year, too!
- When approached, opossums are known to play dead as a defense mechanism. Never approach one with intent to remove it, as it may resort to quickly biting.
- Opossums mainly eat grains, fruits, and insects. If you have lots of fruit trees or bugs in your yard, you are sure to attract opossums.
Are Opossums Dangerous?
Fortunately, opossums aren’t usually dangerous. They are timid creatures that only attack in situations where they feel extremely threatened. However, they have the ability to spread disease and filth in some cases. Here’s how you can prevent them from nesting on your property:
- Seal any entry points to your shed, attic, crawlspaces, and more.
- Declutter your yard by promptly removing any yard waste.
- Use trash cans with tight-fitting lids to prevent them from digging through your garbage for food.
- Call a wildlife pest control expert for professional prevention or removal services.
Wildlife Control in Louisiana
If you’re already dealing with opossums on your property, it’s safe to not try to remove them by yourself. You can rely on your local wildlife removal experts to get the job done. Our wildlife specialists at Ja-Roy Pest Control have years of experience dealing with the specific pest problems that we face in our climate. For a free quote or more information on our services, contact us today!
A Closer Look at the Opossum in Southern Louisiana
Ja-Roy Pest Control Services is a local Pest Control and Extermination company helping homeowners and businesses with pest issues across Southern Louisiana.