If you’re a houseplant owner, you’ve likely dealt with the annoyance that is a fungus gnat infestation. Gnats can appear seemingly out of nowhere in your home. Fungus gnats in particular are known for infesting plants. They typically enter homes here in Louisiana when fungus sprouts due to excess moisture. These pests may be a nuisance, but they also can spread diseases such as salmonella and E. coli. To prevent and get rid of gnats in your home, it’s important to avoid the things that would attract them in the first place.
At Ja-Roy Pest Control, we know how frustrating these tiny flying insects can be, which is why our experts are here to tell you all you need to know about keeping gnats out of your home for good.
Why Do I Have Gnats?
Like other pests, gnats are attracted to excess moisture. When you overwater your houseplants, fungus gnats will lay their eggs on the moist potting soil. The larvae will develop within the soil and quickly hatch. Once they’ve established themselves, fungus gnats can quickly attack other nearby plants. If you are noticing gnats outdoors, it may be due to an overwatered lawn, a flat roof that lacks proper drainage, or dirty garbage cans that have grown fungus. Once you’ve identified where the fungus gnats are coming from, you can work to eliminate the conditions causing the infestation.
How to Get Rid of Fungus Gnats
The ideal environment for a fungus gnat is excessively damp soil. In order to get rid of gnats, it’s important to focus on getting rid of the larvae that may be in your soil. The key to keeping them away for good is preventing the environment that attracts them in the first place. Here’s what to do:
- Avoid watering your plants to the point where the soil stays wet for days at a time. You can rake the soil to help it dry quicker.
- Never let water sit in the drainage tray beneath plant pots. Always make sure your houseplants have the best drainage possible by incorporating gravel, sand, and more into your potting soil.
- Try to quarantine the plant pot that has the infestation. Consider taking it outdoors and removing the top layer of wet soil entirely.
- To get rid of adult fungus gnats in your plants, consider placing sticky traps in the plant itself.
- To get rid of outdoor gnats, make sure to not overwater your lawn, keep your garbage sealed properly, and make sure you have proper drainage on your roof and elsewhere.
Need Help With Gnat Control?
If you can’t seem to get rid of gnats inside or outside your home, it’s time to get the advice of a professional pest control expert. At Ja-Roy, we know gnats are one of the most common nuisance pests for homeowners. We can help identify the conditions that are attracting them, and provide you with a plan to keep them away for good. Contact us today to get started!
Why Are There Gnats in My House? in Southern Louisiana
Ja-Roy Pest Control Services is a local Pest Control and Extermination company helping homeowners and businesses with pest issues across Southern Louisiana.