Those of us that have dealt with fire ants before know that they’re a problem you don’t want to have. Fire ants are very protective of their nest. If you disturb their colony, they will be quick to bite and sting, causing allergic reactions in many. With symptoms like nausea, dizziness, throat swelling, and breathing troubles leading from these allergic reactions, it’s important to learn how to get rid of red ants safely. Read on to learn how to control fire ants in Covington LA from our ant exterminators at Ja-Roy Pest Control!
How to Prevent Fire Ants
Although it can be hard to maintain a fire ant-free yard, there are a few steps you can take to prevent them from settling on your property in the first place. It’s important to deny them food, water, and opportunities for shelter. Here are a few ways you can do so:
- Keep your trees, bushes, and plants trimmed
- Pick ripe fruit from your trees and collect any that has fallen
- Keep mulch away from the foundation of your home and spread evenly
Make sure to check around your yard often for newly-formed dirt mounds. Finding red ants around a small dirt hill is a sure sign of a fire ant colony.
Are Pests a Problem? Ja-Roy Can Help!
Call now or fill out the form below & a team member will reach out shortly!
Can I Get Rid of Fire Ants on my Own?
Many people look for options to kill fire ants naturally when they find them on their property. There are two main methods of natural fire ant control that can work:
- Diatomaceous earth: When ants walk across diatomaceous earth, the crystals within crack the ants’ outer shells, causing them to slowly lose moisture and die of dehydration. This method works well only if you know exactly where the ant activity is and place your diatomaceous earth accordingly.
- Boiling water: Pouring boiling water down fire ant hills will surely wipe out most if not all of the active ants. Be careful, though, because boiling water will also kill nearby plants that it hits. This might not be the best solution for getting rid of fire ants in your lawn.
You also have the option to use store-bought insecticide sprays or baits to get rid of fire ants. While these are effective, they can be dangerous for children, pets, and your lawn if you use them incorrectly. It’s best to consult an expert before using chemical products.
Stay Safe From Fire Ants
If you want to ensure that your fire ants are gone and not coming back, reach out to your local ant exterminators. Our team at Ja-Roy Pest Control has helped home and business owners all around Covington LA get rid of fire ants and teach them how to keep them away on their own. Reach out today to learn more about our fire ant control services and get a free estimate!Back to Ant Exterminators – Control – Removal
How to Get Rid of Fire Ants in Southern Louisiana
Ja-Roy Pest Control Services is a local Pest Control and Extermination company helping homeowners and businesses with pest issues across Southern Louisiana.