Ant infestations are a problem experienced by almost all property owners at some point. Ants are the top nuisance pest in the nation, but they can quickly become more than a nuisance. Certain ant species are destructive, and colonies can grow to numbers that simply cannot be controlled without the help of an ant exterminator. To avoid the frustration, time, and energy of dealing with an infestation, it’s crucial to know how to prevent ants from making their way inside your home in the first place.
3 steps to prevent ants
If you’ve dealt with ants before, you know how difficult they are to get rid of. Colonies can spread, meaning it may take a long time to get rid of them completely. For that reason alone, it’s best to know how to avoid an infestation from ever starting.
Some of the ways you can prevent ants include:
- Eliminate sources of moisture or standing water.
- Fix leaky pipes, and routinely check under sinks for areas of moisture.
- Use a dehumidifier in damp basements or crawl spaces.
- Ensure downspouts and gutters are functioning properly.
- Limit their opportunity to find food sources.
- Keep the kitchen clean and free of crumbs.
- Wipe down counters and sweep floors regularly.
- Store any food in airtight containers, and keep ripe fruit in the refrigerator.
- Use a lid on trash cans and dispose of garbage regularly.
- Seal their entry points into your property.
- Routinely check the perimeter of your home for entry points and seal them.
- Double-check that your windows and doors don’t have cracks, or install screens to help keep pests out.
Are Pests a Problem? Ja-Roy Can Help!
Call now or fill out the form below & a team member will reach out shortly!
How to prevent ants naturally
Many people want to use all-natural methods to control ants, and it’s easy to understand why. Unfortunately, DIY or natural products simply cannot control an ant infestation. That said, some methods may prove helpful in preventing ant problems. Planting mint around the perimeter of your home, using a vinegar and water spray solution, or spreading diatomaceous earth, ground cinnamon, cayenne pepper, or black pepper around your home may help repel ants. However, they will not work to treat an active infestation—making it important to enlist the help of an ant control expert.
Professional ant extermination
Ant infestations can seem never-ending, which is why it’s best to call a professional ant exterminator for help with your ant problem. Completely getting rid of a colony takes time and patience, and the ant exterminators at Ja-Roy know how to control current problems as well as prevent future ones.Back to Ant Exterminators – Control – Removal
Ant Prevention Tips in Southern Louisiana
Ja-Roy Pest Control Services is a local Pest Control and Extermination company helping homeowners and businesses with pest issues across Southern Louisiana.