Cockroaches are a fact of life here in Louisiana. However, these infamous pests are commonly mistaken for another insect called the water bug. So much so, that the slang term for an Oriental cockroach is a waterbug. Water bugs are not pests in the same way roaches are, making it important to learn how to differentiate between the two. This entails learning how water bugs vs cockroaches differ in appearance and, most importantly, behavior. The roach exterminators at Ja-Roy are here to help!
Is a Water Bug a Cockroach?
No, water bugs are part of the true bug family in the insect order Hemiptera, not the cockroach family. Just as their name suggests, water bugs are aquatic insects that rarely venture outside of lakes, ponds, and other bodies of water. Also known as “toe biters” water bugs are infamous for biting in defense when disturbed or stepped on.
The Oriental cockroach is commonly called a waterbug in part due to its tendency to swell in pipes and drains. While a water bug is a bug that looks like a cockroach, they are entirely different!
Are Pests a Problem? Ja-Roy Can Help!
Call now or fill out the form below & a team member will reach out shortly!
All About Water Bugs
- Just as their name suggests, water bugs live in the water the majority of the time. They’re often found in ponds and lakes.
- Water bugs will hunt and kill other insects and small fish. They can also administer a painful bite to humans.
- Water bugs are large, with some species reaching 4″. Their body shape is flat, oval, and tan or brown in color. Unlike roaches, water bugs have clawed front feet, a piercing mouth, and short antennae.
- Waterbugs have wings in an x-shape and are able to fly from one body of water to another in their mating season.
How Cockroaches Differ
- Roaches hide in kitchens, bathrooms, basements, laundry rooms, and other damp areas in the home. They also prefer the dark.
- Cockroaches aren’t known to bite. However, they are still a threat in homes due to the fact that they spread germs and bacteria. They can also trigger allergies in individuals.
- Roaches grow to be only 1–3″. They are flat and oval-shaped, and can range in color from red to dark brown or black. Roaches have longer antennae than waterbugs and hairy legs.
- Some species of cockroaches have fully developed wings, but they are unlikely to fly.
Water Bugs vs Roaches in Louisiana
Roaches are one of the most common pest problems here in Louisiana. For this reason, it’s important to always enlist the help of a professional roach exterminator. Get in touch with the experts at Ja-Roy today to learn more about cockroach vs water bug differences!Back to Cockroach Exterminators – Control – Removal
Cockroach Vs Water Bug in Southern Louisiana
Ja-Roy Pest Control Services is a local Pest Control and Extermination company helping homeowners and businesses with pest issues across Southern Louisiana.