How Do You Prevent Termites When Building a New Home in Louisiana?
One of the best ways to prevent termites is to treat the lumber and use termite-resistant materials when building new properties. When new homes or buildings are built, builders often look to use certain materials that will stand up against termites.
To prevent termites when building a new building, it’s best to apply treatment before, during, and after the property is built.
Here are some of the common methods to prevent termites when building a new home in Louisiana:
- Treat the lumber used in the build
- Use termite-resistant materials instead of or in addition to wood
- Apply chemicals on all points of contact where wood directly touches the ground
- Implement preventative safety measures to ensure the new home is protected
Pre-Build Termite Prevention
Some termite species need contact with the soil in order to thrive. There are a few things builders can do to prevent termites in the pre-construction phase:
- Treat the soil to form a chemical barrier.
- Use pressure-treated or termite-resistant wood, such as resinous woods.
- Limit or eliminate wood-to-soil contact throughout the entire foundation by using a concrete base as a barrier.
- Ensure the home will receive proper ventilation to prevent excess moisture and humidity.
- Build the home in such a way to create proper drainage, best achieved by sloping the soil away from the foundation.
- When building crawlspaces, be wary of keeping wood above ground to avoid contact with soil.
- Use a galvanized steel or concrete barrier into the build which can help block entry points.
Do You Have a Termite Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Can Termites Be Prevented in New Buildings?
If the above prevention methods aren’t taken advantage of when building a new home, it’s important to implement ongoing prevention services with a professional pest control company. This includes eliminating excess moisture, fixing leaky water pipes, removing dead or rotten sources of wood, keeping firewood away from the home, and being cautious of any wood contact with the ground.
The best thing you can do to keep termites out of your new home is to work with a professional termite exterminator such as Ja-Roy.
How Do You Prevent Termites When Building a New Home in Covington? in Southern Louisiana
Ja-Roy Pest Control Services is a local Pest Control and Extermination company helping homeowners and businesses with pest issues across Southern Louisiana.