Do Mosquitoes Bite?
Mosquitoes are known around the world for their bites. Female mosquitoes use their proboscis to feed on blood by piercing the skin. Mosquitoes bite small animals and birds in addition to humans. These bites can cause rashes, marks, and in some cases, serious diseases.
Mosquito bites are linked to a number of dangerous diseases worldwide. Luckily, it is rare to contract a mosquito-borne illness in Louisiana. Nonetheless, it’s safe to say that everyone would rather avoid a mosquito bite.
What Makes Mosquitoes Bite?
Female mosquitoes bite to extract nutrients from our blood. These nutrients are required for their eggs to develop. Once a female mosquito bites successfully, she is able to breed and lay eggs. Although we refer to this activity as “biting”, in reality, the female mosquito is poking into your skin with her proboscis like a needle. The proboscis is made up of two tubes. One of them injects saliva that contains pain-reducing chemicals and works to thin your blood to prevent it from clotting. The other draws the blood up.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
What are the Symptoms of a Mosquito Bite?
Mosquito bites usually occur on exposed skin. The mosquito bite symptoms usually include:
- Itchy, pinkish-red bumps form just minutes after the bite.
- Over the next day or two, the bumps will redden and become darker.
- The bump shouldn’t reach longer than 1/2″ across.
- The most common symptom of a mosquito bite is itching. Scratching your bites will always make the symptoms last longer.
- In bad cases, fever, piercing headaches, nausea, and fatigue can indicate a serious problem. Always talk to a medical professional when you have these symptoms after recent mosquito bites.
Do Mosquitoes Like to Bite Dogs or Cats?
Yes, mosquitoes will bite dogs, cats, and other similar small pets. Cats are safer from mosquitoes due to their thick coats of hair. However, they are susceptible to bites on their nose and ears. Dogs, on the other hand, are frequent mosquito targets. In addition to giving your pets itchy bites, mosquitoes can transmit diseases to animals in the same way as they do to us.
Do Mosquitoes Bite? in Southern Louisiana
Ja-Roy Pest Control Services is a local Pest Control and Extermination company helping homeowners and businesses with pest issues across Southern Louisiana.